- 1 Put beans in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of cold water.
- 2 Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and summer for 5 minutes.
- 3 Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour, then drain.
- 4 Tie herbs into a bundle or wrap in a square of cheesecloth.
- 5 In a large pot, combine herbs, beans, ham, onions, carrots, garlic, and water.
- 6 Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 7 Turn off heat, remove ham and allow to cool, then cut into cubes.
- 8 Remove herbs and discard.
- 9 Puree about 3 cups or beans with some of the liquid. (I like my stick blender for this, just be careful because it is super hot!).
- 10 Stir puree and meat back into the remaining soup.
- 11 Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12 Put in bowls, top with a pat of butter, and serve.